This room once contained two Mather and Platt electric two-stage centrifugal pump sets, which were used to pump water to Hanchurch reservoir. The room now contains an exhibition telling the story of how water is supplied from below ground to the storage reservoirs on the hills above the Potteries.
At the head of the room is the memorial bust to the Duke of Sutherland, who was the patron of the Staffordshire Potteries Water Works Company. The bust was kept in the boardroom at Wall Grange Pumping Station where it was unveiled at a ceremony in 1863. The inscription on the main supporting column for the bust reads:
TO RECORD THE NAME OF GEORGE GRANVILLE, DUKE AND EARL OF SUTHERLAND, K.G., A TRULY CHRISTIAN NOBLEMAN WHOSE GREAT AND UNOBTRUSIVE BENEVOLENCE LED HIM UNIFORMLY TO PROMOTE EVERY JUDICIOUS DESIGN FOR THE HEALTH, COMFORT AND WELLBEING OF HIS FELLOW MEN.
THE PROPRIETORS OF THESE WORKS COMMENCED IN THE YEAR 1848 AND CARRIED OUT UNDER HIS PATRONAGE HAVE ERECTED THIS MEMORIAL, DEC. 1862.
The bust remained at Wall Grange until the building was demolished, where upon it was presented to the Newcastle Borough Council and was placed in the Municipal Hall. A plinth was added to the bottom of the bust and the following inscription added.
THIS MEMORIAL BUST, EXECUTED BY MATTHEW NOBLE OF LONDON AND UNVEILED AT THE WALL GRANGE WATERWORKS 29TH JULY 1863 WAS PRESENTED TO THE NEWCASTLE CORPORATION 30TH JULY 1935 BY THE CHAIRMAN, ALDERMAN SYDNEY MYOTT, J.P. C.C. AND MEMBERS OF THE STAFFORDSHIRE POTTERIES WATER BOARD
Following the demolition of the Municipal Hall the bust was rescued and is now on permanent loan to Mill Meece.
Previous | Guided Tour Home | Next