Hatton Water Works
Hatton Pumping Station
The increasing demand on the Staffordshire Potteries Water Company’s resources due to, amongst other things, the more general introduction of water closets urged the Company to seek new sources of water. Following a survey of the area the most favourable site for a new source of supply was in the Valley of the Meece Brook on the Swynnerton Estate belonging to Mr. Basil T. Fitzherbert, of Swynerton Hall.
Horizontal Compound Tandem
Steam Pumping Engine 1907-1938
Hatton Water Works was built in
stages over a period of almost 20 years. During this period six wells were
constructed and five boreholes were also sunk. In addition extensive cruts were
driven between the wells and boreholes.
The first stage of the works was completed in 1892 and consisted of the erection of two compound rotary beam steam pumping engines. The next stage, the erection of a horizontal cross compound rotary steam engine was completed in 1898. The works were finally completed in 1907 with the erection of a horizontal compound tandem rotary steam pumping engine. In its heyday it must have been a sight to behold with all these steam engines running.
Diesel Engine Driven Generator 1938
Unfortunately during the reconstruction of the Station between 1937 and 1959 the steam engines and boilers were removed and replaced by a series of direct current and alternating current motor driven well pumps. Power for the direct current pumps was obtained from three diesel engine driven generators, two Bellis & Morcombe and one Harland & Wolf, which were housed within the old boiler house.
Electric Motor Used
To Drive Spindle Pump
So now begins the next stage of Hatton’s history, the property has been bought for redevelopment into luxury apartments.
Home | Wall Grange Water Works | Stockton Brook Water Works | Hatton Water Works